Monday, November 22, 2010

yarn addict

Yes, I will admit it, I'm a yarn addict.  It happened gradually over a few months after I returned to crocheting a year ago.  I found that as I finished a project, I started to feel antsy, like I needed something.  A yarn fix, that's what the need was, and yes I succumbed.  I trolled the internet looking for yarn sales, trying to decide if the colors on my computer screen were possibly close to the colors the yarn would be in real life. I needed to know that soon I'd have a box of yarn shipped to me, that I'd have that moment of delight at opening said box and seeing all the colors.

Over time I realized that I had to have enough yarn on hand to start a new project when I finished whatever I was currently working on.  If I didn't have my safety net of yarn waiting, I'd start feeling anxious, very like the withdrawal symptoms I had when I quit smoking. Of course the problem then became--just how much yarn was enough?  How much did I need to be sure I'd always have yarn available?  I began to search ebay regularly for yarn in lots.  Ebay was risky however, since there might be a distinctive smell to the yarn.  Was it in a house with pets, with smoking?  Eventually I stopped shopping at ebay for yarn.  I didn't like the potential for nasty surprises.

I've now progressed to a comfort zone of having enough yarn on hand to start two projects.  This means I've had to invest in storage containers, but the peace of mind is worth it. I'm a crochet fool and I'm proud of it.  And let's face it--yarn is probably the least dangerous substance I could be addicted to, as it only impacts my budget. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment